What is Career and Technical Education?
Career & Technical Education (CTE) focuses on the rigors of academic courses while giving students the foundation for pursuing careers in such exciting fields as A+ Computer Repair, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration, Automotive Technology, Carpentry, Culinary Arts, Electrical Installation, Media & Dramatic Arts and Plumbing & Heating. CTE shops are modeled after real-life work spaces and taught by certified teachers who have worked in industry and bring a wealth of knowledge and training to the classroom. Students also learn how to apply academics in their career-education classes. In short, students graduate from Grady well-prepared for both careers in industry and college.
Download our postcard here.
Why choose William E. Grady Career and Technical High School?
A College-Prep Curriculum with a Career Theme
- Academic courses that meet college entrance requirements
- Courses each year in career fields
- Projects that bring together skills in academic and career classes
- Counseling for a post-secondary plan for college and career
A Small Learning Community
- Students take specialized academy classes
- Teams of cross-disciplinary teachers
- Full student involvement in school and extracurricular activities.
Partnerships with Employers, Community and Higher Education
- Workplace Experiences
- Articulation with local colleges
Outstanding Faculty Many of Grady’s faculty members are considered experts in their field through certifications they have received. This is a faculty that goes the extra mile to make sure their lessons are linked to real world application.
Courses and Program Highlights:
- Programs: Gifted and Talented Honors Program in Pre-Engineering (Project Lead The Way), Culinary Arts/Restaurant Management, Career and Technical Education course sequence in Information Technology, Construction Technology, Automotive Technology, Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
• Advanced Placement Courses: English Literature and Composition, United States History.
- Community Based Organization: Good Shepherd Services
- Higher Education Institutions: College of Staten Island, Rochester Institute of Technology, New York City Technical College, Kingsborough Community College, Polytechnic Institute.
- Corporate: Greater NY Auto Dealers Association, NY Oil Heat Association, Operating Engineers of America/Local 30, Careers in Culinary Arts Program, Building Trades Council, Carrier Corporation.
- Leadership & Support: Student Council, Peer Mediation and Conflict Resolution, Link Employment and Responsibility Now (LEARN), Construction Skills 2000
- Academic: Skills USA
- Artistic: Art, Drama
- Clubs: Karate, Art, Chorus, Creative Writing, MOUSE®Squad, School Newspaper, Book Club, Website Design, Baseball Club and R.C Nitro Cars Club.
Century 21 Grant:
After School Enrichment Program: Dance, Poetry, Fashion Design, SAT/Regents, Junior Achievement, Drama/Script Writing, Web Design, Steel Band, Step Team, Explorer
PSAL Sports Teams:
- BOYS: Baseball & JV Baseball, Basketball & JV Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Football & JV Football, Handball, Outdoor Track, Indoor Track, Soccer, Volleyball, Wrestling
- GIRLS: Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Handball, Outdoor Track, Indoor Track Softball, Volleyball
Dear Students and Parents:
Welcome to William E. Grady Career & Technical Education High School, the school of choice for the new millennium. We are happy to welcome you to the start of another exciting school year. As you begin your journey through high school, our job will be to help provide you with all of the skills and abilities you need to succeed in the future. Our objective is to create a learning environment that empowers each and every student to pursue career, technical and academic excellence. Our guidance and college preparatory program is carefully designed to help students reach our high expectations.
The high school years represent some of the most exciting and memorable years of life and we encourage all students to participate in many of the extra-curricular activities that Grady has to offer. Always keep in mind the “Four Ps” to succeed in class: You must be Present, Punctual and Prepared every day, and you must Participate in Grady activities. We also encourage parents to get involved with the Parents’ Association, and stay involved by communicating with your child’s teachers and guidance counselors. In addition, we need you to support our goals and learning objectives by being aware of your child’s homework assignments and by making sure work is completed on time.
This website will help students and parents understand the high expectations we hold at William E. Grady High School. We are very proud of our students and are extremely happy that you are now a part of the Grady family.
I wish you the best of luck in your school years.
Tarah Montalbano, Principal